1. SONOS - THE. BEST. SPEAKER out there. If your hubs loves music, he needs this.
2. WHOVEN subscription - Does your man live in T- Shirts? Of course he does. We’ve got just the thing for him! A subscription box for cool monthly T’s you both will love!
3. Wintersmiths Clear Ice Ball Maker - The PERFECT clear ice balls keeps drinks colder, longer, and with less dilution!
4. Bourbon glasses - Because every Kentucky gentleman needs a nice set of Bourbon glasses!
5. Rocketbook - For your tech guy. He will love this reusable notebook that sends notes right to his laptop!
6. Monogrammed Sunglass Strap from Clayton & Crume- A southern staple from this Louisville based handcrafted leather goods company. We are in love with everything here!
7. Vuori Shorts - Whether he’s hiking, hitting the courts, or lounging around the house, he will beg you for multiple pairs of these. Made for comfort with build in boxers, these are sure to be his new FAVE.
8. Indoor Putting Green - Since he can’t hit the links EVERY day, this indoor putting green will at least help his short game.
9. NIXON Watch - What’s hotter than a man in a nice watch?
10. Jerky Snob - Jerky Snob is a subscription-based service that sends healthy and delicious monthly shipments of great jerky that is made by independent and small batch producers. Hubs will love it!
1. Pottery Barn Baby Bath Wraps- Warm and cuddly, oh my!
2. Cool Beans Stretchy Baby Car Seat Canopy & Nursing Cover- Stylish yet functional.
3. MIU Waterproof Outdoor Foldable Blanket- A Stroller Strides staple that EVERY mom needs.
4. Kids Bath Collection by Beauty Counter- Safe suds for your little nugget.
5. Little Giraffe Chenille Blanket- Threads so soft it’ll make those sweet cuddles even cozier.
6. Baby Shoosher- Let the “shooshes” save the day.
7. Parker Baby Diaper Backpack- Totally stylin’ AND functioning.
8. Cuddle and Kind Hand Knit Dolls- With every purchase you will be helping to feed a child in need. Why not give back a lil’ while giving this season.
9. Heartland Music Classes- A F4M Lou Mom approved class and favorite!
10. Kickee Pants- #allthemoms are obsessing over these! Every little needs a pair.
1. Plasma Car- Inside or outside, this Plasma car is a blast! We mayyyy even get on it some nights after a couple glasses of wine and take it for a spin around the house. It's that fun!
2. Pogo Stick- Sturdy enough for adults? Because we want one too!
3. Magnetic Building Blocks- These will keep your littles occupied long enough for you to actually prep dinner… without distractions!
4. Worthy Threads-We all love Cat & Jack, but sometimes it's nice to dress your babe in something that NOT every other kid is wearing. This Mom owned company designs prints for girls and boys that you will fall in love with.
5. Pottery Barn Sleeping Bags- Whether they’re pretending to be at a sleepover or heading to Grandma’s house, these are a cozy fave!
6. Little Hippo Alarm Clock- KEEP YOUR KID IN BED LONGER AND GET MORE SLEEP ? Yes please! MELLA uses colors and facial expressions to teach your kids when it's time for bed and time to wake up.
7. Best Workout Buddy Shirt- A F4M little must have!
8. Kiwi Crate- Forget the IPAD, these STEM projects will keep your kiddos busy for hours. And no Mom guilt!
9. Candy Land Game- Nostalgic? Yes. Necessary for your child? Also yes.
10. VTECH Smartwatch- Because we know your little ones want to be just like you, smart watch and all!
Snow Day? … Take them to House of Boom
Need to entertain your kids during winter break? … Take them to House of Boom
Guests in town for the holidays? … Take them to House of Boom
Sensing a theme here? Us too! :)
King Louie's Sports Center is a Strides favorite for many of you but there are SO many more activities that go on in this amazing space. Let us fill you in on what you might be missing out on!
We may be all about that mom life but we sure love the amazing dads that support the women that make our community so special! This week, we are putting a new spin on our Transformation Tuesday with a little input from the spouse of one of our recent Run Club and Body Back grads, Ashley Gonzalez.
Don't Forget About Yourself, Mama!
De-stress. The holidays can be a stressful time. We all feel the stress of managing our usual duties along with additional commitments to our friends and family. You may feel the financial stress of gifts and the interpersonal stress of conflicts. Try to anticipate sources of stress and develop a plan to manage them. This may involve committing to fewer get-togethers or setting a tighter budget. Don’t feel guilty... always remember what we say in Body Back: you have to take care of yourself before you can take of others.
Treat yourself. The holiday spirit is about helping others around you, but you also have to make time to take care of yourself. So treat yourself with something over the holidays. It may be something as simple as sleep. Wake up late and enjoy a day of rest; you need it. How about reading that book you’ve been meaning to for a long time, or getting a manicure or massage? Take the time to do the things that make you happy. Don't feel like you have the time to set aside for yourself right now? Plan a day in the New Year just for you and give it as a gift to yourself. Put it on your calendar, tell your spouse, block that time just for you!
Unschedule. We know that planner is booked solid. But are there things you can really say no to? Make room for holiday magic to unfold and cancel some of your planned activities.
Help others. Depression can increase during the holidays. Watch for signs of depression among your friends and family. Take an active role to support those in need. Invite those colleagues or friends who are alone over the holidays to spend them with you. Feeling down yourself? Volunteer and give to those less fortunate. Sometimes the best way to feel better ourselves is to give a little to those who need it most.
Be Grateful. Directing more of our attention towards gratitude for the things that make our lives wonderful is scientifically proven to make us healthier, more energetic, less stressed and anxious, and help us get better sleep. There is so much to be grateful for. Soak in the gratitude!
The craziness of the holiday season is upon us. The check lists, the shopping, the wrapping, the rushing, the STRESS. Your health is probably the last thing on your mind. But follow a couple of these easy tips and you're sure to save yourself from at least a few bad choices!
1. Eat Before You Shop! A starving mama can only pass that Cinnabon stand so many times before she convinces herself it's an ok option. Save yourself by not going to the mall hungry.
2. Track what you eat! The holidays are so busy, its easy to lose track of what you are eating. But any Body Back grad will tell you the importance of food journaling. Download My Fitness Pal for an easy app to use on the go. It only takes a second to log and it is SO worth it.
3. Weigh yourself daily. Usually we discourage you from weighing yourself every single day since so many factors can influence your weight. However, this month may be a good time to keep an eye on that scale. It can get away from you quickly!
4. Keep healthy snacks at work. Workplaces are usually the WORST culprits when it comes to overdoing the unhealthy holiday foods. Stash healthy foods in your desk at work so you’re not as tempted by the treats piling up at the office.
5. Get in a good sweat. You are more likely to make good food choices on the days you've worked out. So don't miss class! You are too busy to get it in later in the day, so get that butt kicking done with us at 5:30am!
At those holiday get-togethers it can be hard to know which is the healthiest choice to make. Here's our recommendations for what to choose and what to skip to keep that waistline in check.
Research suggests that you’ll consume the largest quantity of the foods you eat first, so set yourself up for success by starting with something low-calorie.
Eat this: Veggies and hummus. Veggies are packed with vitamins and antioxidants, and hummus is low cal but will also leave you feeling full and satisfied.
Not that: Chips and Dip. Chips are usually fried and have tons of salt which will leave you feeling bloated the next day. Dips like ranch can deliver a devastating 150 calories and 16 grams of fat per two tablespoons. You can easily consume 750 calories of dressing alone without realizing it.
Meats, Seafood & Small Bites:
Eat this: Shrimp cocktail, meatballs or deli meats. These are high in protein and low in fat. For example, 10 shrimps with cocktail sauce pack just 120 calories and less than 1 gram of fat.
Not that: Pigs in a Blanket or Buffalo Chicken Bites. Just one tiny Pig in a Banket can have over 100 calories and the breading and frying of those Buffalo Chicken Bites make them a dangerous choice.
Usually we opt to skip dessert... but it IS the holidays...
Eat this: Opt for fresh fruit! Believe it or not, it will ease your sugar craving. However, if you HAVE to have a little traditional dessert, don't overdo it. Scout the spread beforehand and choose one or two desserts you feel you just must try. If they're larger than bite-size portions, take half or split with a friend.
Not that: Pecan Pie, Frosted Sugar Cookies & Peppermint Bark. A single slice of this pie packs 500 calories and more than 30 g of sugar. Adorable frosted sugar cookies pack up to 166 calories and 15 g of sugar a pop and a small square of candy cane-topped peppermint bark can have nearly 180 calories with 10g of sugar.
Pour slowly, sip slowly.
Drink This: Champagne, light beer or vodka soda. The average flute of bubbly has 80 calories and no fat, and a bottle of light beer has just over 100 calories and no fat. Club soda has zero calories, zero fat and zero sugar.
Not That: Eggnog, creamy martinis or Gin & Tonic. Eggnog has an average of 344 calories and 19 grams of fat per glass! Dessert cocktails like chocolate martinis pack around 400 calories and 20 grams of fat. And tonic water can actually have as many calories as a regular cola!
Eat, drink & be merry! But do it carefully.
*adapted from cancercenter.com*
Tips for Safely Navigating those Holiday Parties
The holidays are upon us and that means lots of parties with lots of bad food. But just because you are a health conscious Mama doesn't mean you have to miss out on all the fun. Here are a few of our tips for keeping your party game stepped up without hating yourself the next day.
1. Bring a Dish! There’s no better way to control what you eat than to bring your own healthy dish! If you're a Body Back alum, the Roasted Veggie Quinoa salad or Tomato Basil Pasta salads are both great options to bring to a party. If you haven't been through the 8 Week Transformation yet, try decorating a wooden appetizer board with a variety of healthy nuts, hummus, olives, raw veggies, and crackers for dipping.
2. Indulge Wisely. Go ahead! Have your favorite holiday treat or drink this season. Just be smart about it. There's no need to over do it when research shows that the first couple bites of something are actually the most satisfyng. Go to the healthiest options first if you are feeling especially hungry. Take small bites and chew well. By doing so we can mitigate the negative effects that hard-to-digest foods or a combination of foods can have on our system. Both carbohydrate and fat digestion begin in the mouth with our salivary glands and our tongue’s enzyme secretion, so do your stomach a favor and chew, chew, chew!
3. Learn to say "No." Some of us feel like not eating something will offend the host or other guests. In reality, that’s rarely the case and others are usually unaware of what you are or are not eating. Also, with so many dietary restrictions today and an ever-growing population of people who are gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and/or vegetarians, there is probably someone else at the event who’s watching their intake as well.
4. Use the Buddy System. Chances are there will be another health conscious friend at the party you are attending. Plan ahead to keep each other in check. Make sure you are seated near one another if it is a seated dinner. You are much less likely to over indulge or make bad choices if you know there is someone else watching!
Have you heard about the latest and greatest of deals offered by our friends at House of Boom? Scroll on down to read all about the After School Pass!
We can't imagine a more epic party venue than the premier trampoline park in Louisville. If you want to blow your birthday girl or boy's mind, let House of Boom host!
One of our favorite things about House of Boom is their commitment to providing a safe environment for our kids! Another thing we love about them is the broad collection of activities they offer. From the new Ninja Obstacle Course to the Extreme Dodgeball arena, they have something for everyone to enjoy. Today, we are especially loving the foam pits!
Do your kids love practicing tricks at House of Boom? The foam pits are the perfect place to practice aerial tricks and enjoy the freedom of flying through the air! The soft cushion of the foam cubes provides a safe landing space for all of the creative moves your kids can dream up! As moms, that's something we really appreciate.
If they are looking for some new inspo, show them some of these moves! The article provides pictures and step by step instruction for each trampoline trick. Some of these moves can benefit you too, Mama! The trampolines are a great place to work on your balance, core, and strength!
Next time you're at House of Boom, show your kids how they can use the foam pits to practice their skills. They will have a blast and you can rest easy knowing they'll land safe and sound!
Until August 15, you can head over to House of Boom and get a Wild Card for ONLY $10 when you purchase your flight ticket.
What is a Wild Card, you ask?
Only a 30 day pass for just $10.
The Wild Card gets you a 1-hour admission into the park for the next 30 days. That makes your cost only $0.33 per day for one hour each.
So, here’s how you can get your Wild Card:
- Buy a flight pass (1 hour, 2 hours, online or in-park)
- Ask for the Wild Card upgrade ($10 per person)
- Rock out for the next 30 days
The Wild Card price beats their normal one hour flight pass fee AND you get to use it for a whole month. That’s a crazy good deal, Mamas. Head over to House of Boom to get your Wild Card today!
You can find more details here!
We waited all winter for these warm summer days and boy have they arrived. The Kentucky summer heat and humidity is no joke! When you are loading up those kiddos to get to Stroller Strides and Stroller Barre this month, be sure to pack extra water and sunscreen. Portable stroller fans, water misters, and frozen/refrigerated wet wash clothes are other great ways to entertain your little ones while keeping them cool during class.
Of course, another great option to cool off after class is to head over to House of Boom and enjoy their massive air conditioned facility full of fun! You can get your workout of the day in and then let your kids get that pent up energy out from waiting patiently in those strollers during class! There are so many fun activities to enjoy at House of Boom; they’ve recently added a ninja obstacle course, zip line, and stunt fall attraction! Don’t worry - your tried and true favorites like the foam pits, dodgeball arena, and plenty of trampolines are still there!
If you’ve never been to House of Boom, it’s the perfect time to check it out now that all the new additions are complete! And if you’re like us and tend to be regulars, you now have a new excuse to go back (like you needed an excuse)!
We know your kids are going to LOVE the new and improved House of Boom.
Have you heard about House of Boom’s charitable efforts through Jump4Jump? Find out how you can help support this cause below!
If you want to chat with a client that can tell you ALL about #F4MLou, Brittany Littles is your girl. This amazing mama has taken on every program in our FIT4MOM repertoire and rocked every single one! Her most recent involvement has been with Stroller Strides, Run Club, and Fit4Baby. That’s right.... she’s expecting her second child any day now and has truly inspired Our Village with how active she’s been throughout her pregnancy. These are just a few words our team used to describe this determined mama:
“Brittany has a heart of pure gold! Her spirit is infectious and her determination is immeasurable. She’s an amazing mama, wife, teacher and runner. I’m blessed to have such an amazing friend!” - Terri (Run Club Coach)
“Brittany has an unshakable spirit, always so positive, no matter what. She is motivated, determined, and such an amazing role model. I’m so grateful to have had her in my class!” - Carla (Fit4Baby instructor)
“Don’t mistake kindness for weakness” - She may very well be one of the nicest people but she is a beast! - Susan (BOOST instructor)
If you've yet to try out Stroller Strides, this list might just change your mind. Fit4Mom Louisville has so much to offer moms through our Strides classes. We provide fitness for mom and fun for baby (and big kids too)!
Whether you're there 100% to get your sweat on, you come for some mama socialization time, or you fall somewhere in the middle, these tips will help you maximize your time with us during Stroller Strides.
This month we are sharing the story of two of our Run Club and Body Back mamas that just crushed their goal of running in the Kentucky Derby Festival Mini Marathon! Kirsten Murphy and Lauren Rager have been part of Our Village for over a year and their transformation since has been so inspiring! Thank you to Kirsten for being a guest contributor on the blog this week so we could share your experiences!
Just when we think that House of Boom couldn't possibly get more exciting, they announce their awesome summer camp!
(Oh who are we kidding... we're never surprised by all the fun offered at House of Boom!)
Are you looking for something extra special for your kids to do this summer? Look no further than House of Boom this June. We've provided all the details below:
If you've been to House of Boom with your children, we bet you're familiar with the dread the kiddos feel when its time to leave! How excited do you think they would be if they found out they didn't have to?!
It's February.... the month of Loooove! While we typically keep things all about the #momlife here, we know you wear lots of other hats. So, this month we're going to focus on your grown up relationships! :)
Being stuck inside in the cold winter months can be tough for anyone. The winter blues are a REAL thing! It can be especially difficult to entertain little ones this time of year. So, what is a mom to do?!